Summer arrived with a bang yesterday in my part of the Northern Hemisphere, it was 31 ° and sunny for most of the day but by late evening we had high winds, thunder and lightening.
I’ve always loved summer skating, when I was a kid it meant you got to skate every day and improve so much more quickly. It was also a great time to build existing friendships and make new friends since not all clubs in the region hosted a summer school. Test sessions were more laid back and even the judges seemed a bit more chill.
So in no particular order here are the Top Ten Best Things About Summer Figure Skating:
- You need less layers of clothing, love the feeling of cool wind on bare skin!
- You warm up faster and accomplish more on a session.
- Being in a cool rink during intense heat helps to beat the heat….
- …therefore it’s one of the few environments where you can still do an intense work out on a very hot day.
- Being indoors helps to avoid sun damaged skin, I used to be the only kid who returned to school in the fall as pale as she left it in the spring.
- No getting up in the dark to skate on early early morning sessions.
- Your feet stay warm!
- Test sessions seem to be more relaxed, or maybe it’s just you that is more relaxed.
- Summer figure skating schools are a great way to make new friends.
- You can cross train outdoors bicycling, swimming, hiking to name a few.
I do acknowledge that there are adult figure skaters who live and train in lands of perpetual summer and that none of this is news to you. I live in a land where having to dig your car out after a snowstorm is considered an off ice warm up and where skaters have to warm up their skates with hair dryers in between sessions so we are all really loving this!